Saturday morning I woke up and went for a run with Kayla. That's typically how Saturdays work, Carly, Kayla, and the open road. In any case, we busted out 5 miles at pace with 1 mile cool down to follow. I was slightly tired on this run as I had worked late into the night making tutus... as, my daughters and I were involved in a 5K Saturday night. It's not any 5K, it's the Night of Light 5K in downtown Morganton to benefit the families of the First United Methodist Church. It's festive, fun, and a tradition now as the race is in its 6th year. I have only missed one race, last year's, because we ran another race the same day. My girls had begged to run a 5K, they know how far 3.1 miles is, they've practiced and trained, and they know running is very important to me.So the time came... the Bumgarner girls were going to run a 5K together. We arrived at the church, dressed pretty cute, if you ask me. Ava and I were reindeer and Elle was dressed as Santa. We posed for pictures along the way, met with the preacher, talked with the race directors (two of my sole sisters), and mentally prepared for the race. The girls climbed trees, did cartwheels, and ran in circles. I'm so active, I didn't even think about how this might effect them during the race. (MISTAKE)
When the time came to race and we stood at the starting line, Elle looked up at me and said "I don't want to do this now." I reassured her "this will be great, you are ready, Mommy loves you." (MISTAKE) When the gun sounded, we were off. Elle was running at mach speed and I vaguely recall hearing Ava say "slow down, save your energy Elle!" I chased Elle down the hill to the start of the course. By 0.2 miles into the race Elle looked at me and said "I'm tired. I don't want to run." I told Ava to go on, I'd catch her. And I picked up Elle and carried her. I carried her for more than half a mile. I walked fast and Ava trotted along beside of me. The race was done with 3 X 1.033 mile loops, so I knew if I could get Elle back to the start I could finish two more laps with Ava. When we got to the final hill of the first lap, and water station, Elle complained about being thirsty, and I put her down to get water. She then sprinted to the top. I found a friend who watched Elle so Ava and I could finish. I waited for Ava who started lap two with me. We ran a good pace but by the third Ava was wearing down. I pepped talked her through an entire mile. It was daunting to me, but I've had supporters help me through marathons... so it's part of the process. But, she finished strong and got her medal! In fact, Elle put it around her neck because Elle had been given the job of medal giver-outer! That night we celebrated with Subway and a large bowl of popcorn at the house. The girls were worn out! Now, my 8 year old is a 2x 5Ker and my 5 year old is a DNF. But I couldn't be prouder!
That night, I had a glass of wine and texted some of my friends who raced the race... then I woke up early Sunday morning and went on a 10 mile run with the race director who wanted to debrief. I admitted the race was perfect and would recommend it to anyone looking for a small 5K with big charisma. The Night of Light 5K is a Morganton Tradition - with mega hills, mega thrills, and load of magic at Christmas time! I'd say to just about anyone, be there or be square, and wear an ugly Christmas sweater or else!
No comments:
Post a Comment