life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Twin Delivery

Well, the twins are here.  Happy Birthday blessings were sung in the "maternity" operating room of Grace Hospital, in the mid afternoon on Monday May 21st of 2012.  That makes the twins' zodiac sign: Gemini!  Labor went fairly quick. We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 a.m.  For some odd reason, the ER sent me to the third floor on foot... they didn't even offer a wheel chair! Didn't matter I made it, and practically ran to get the kids here quicker! The nursing staff was awesome and we prayed that a vaginal delivery would still be possible at this point.  Being that I was 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant, we felt sure that the babies would at least be really healthy.  By 11:00 I was in pain, and although I had made the choice already, I was strongly encouraged to ask for an epidural as soon as I felt any pain.  The anesthesiologist, made it to me by 12:15 and I was ready for a bit of relief.  Contractions were coming every couple of minutes, and I had "after shocks" with each set. The "after shocks" were not nearly as bad, but honestly neither were the contractions.  By 1:00 I was feeling intense pressure and had the urge to bear down.  They had just checked and determined I was 6 centimeters dilated.  I couldn't bear to be on my bottom, but couldn't sit up because of the epidural's strength.  I was able to lift myself with my legs, turn on my side, and complain about the increased pressure.  Since I continued to "complain" they checked again and exclaimed "there is nothing there, I can feel his head completely!" I was rushed out of my room in my hospital bed, by about 6 excited nurses.  Since I was delivering twins, I had to deliver in the operating room just in case they needed to do emergency surgery. In the operating room, were the doctor, a resident, a nurse anesthetist, a neonatologist, and about 8 nurses.  Of course, Terrence was also there, behind me.  I remember looking at the clock in the OR and it was 1:50ish. They did a quick ultrasound, allowed me to begin pushing, and started cheering me on.  I held my own legs and pushed.  I had nurses counting and telling me I could do it.  I admit I wanted to quit, thought about how much easier the c-section would have been, but pushed through the thoughts.  At 2:11 Easton came into the world weighing 7 pounds and 1 ounce.  His crying was beautiful and I knew immediately he was okay. He was rushed away by the neonatologist who announced the 1 minute Apgar score of 9.  I asked for a short break, then heard the doctor say, "we can start some pitocin," to which I said "no!" He somehow was able to guide Elle to the birth canal and in two pushes we welcomed her into the world at 2:16 p.m. Little Elle weighed 6 pounds and 14 ounces.  Nurses were crying and the resident said this was a moment she would never forget.  The placenta was delivered and the doctor took a moment to educate staff on the "fused" placenta or whatever. I took a glance at it and it was gross as I expected!  I was so proud of myself and they were all proud of me.  Easton's 5 minute Apgar was a 10! Elle had Apgars of 8 and 9.  Being rolled back to my hospital room with 2 perfect babies was probably one of the best experiences of my life.  My mother in-law was in tears, my mom and dad were waiting, and we had two new Bumgarners. What an experience... People keep calling me rockstar but I think any mom could do what I did.  You just have to put your mind to it, be positive, and roll with the punches.  That's what a twin delivery is all about!



3 comments: