life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Monday, July 8, 2019

Focused and Ready



It's been a weird year - here we are half way through and I feel like I've lost part of my identity. Amazing how quickly that happens. When our dog Momo died, on the first day of 2019, it set a tone for me.  I somehow sensed things would be different.

I'm not sure what happened, but I woke up not wanting to train anymore.  It's an unfortunate scenario in some senses because it led me away from certain friendships because we lost that commonality - swimming or running - but at the same time, that's how friendship works, we evolve, grow, and move on, always seeing fondness for the past.  I took time to think about what I wanted,  where I needed to be, and just to live.

We got a new dog, George, and he took 4-5 months to bond with me. It was a weird feeling because there were days I thought "no one likes me, not even my dog," - total negativity, but we all get like that right? For me it lasts a few hours then I laugh about it.   By the time summer rolled around George started loving me all the time.  I wasn't just the lady who took him on some runs, fed him twice daily, and petted him - I was his lifeline.  Along that same time, I decided I wanted to train again.


Up to this point I was still running; my running partner, the only friend I had when my dog hated me, (haha) and I had started running faster.  I'm not talking seconds, I mean 2 minutes per mile faster.  And that was a huge focus for me.  Fast 5Ks.  I was swimming a lot, 3-4 times a week but for maintenance, speed, and form, not for distance.  It felt great to be a champion again... and, I was ready.  The lake was warming up and it was time to train. 

May 1st, I hit the lake for the first time since last season.  It was so cold, but I swam 1.5 miles chasing Terrence in the kayak.  I decided to go up to the lake weekly after that and have maintained that goal.  During that time I decided to train for a 10K swim. There are few races in the area and I could not find anyone to take me to the first few - my mother wanted someone to drive me and make sure I had support on land.  Terrence was working and my other friends were too busy... it was a bummer, but it happens.  I finally found a race that was far enough out that I could ask my parents to watch my children, Terrence could ask off from work, and we could go.


I started focusing on training using my Dad or Terrence as my pilot on my open water swims, doing 1 long swim a week at the pool, and doing 2 more swims at the pool that focused on speed and form.  I kept up my running 3 days a week too.  I met up with my swimming buddies and did some sessions with them too; I always want to race or need form tweaks anyhow...  In addition,  I started talking with some people on Instagram who sent me training plans, helped me discover mental strength, and loved the sport like I did.   One friend Luke, suggested I swim 45 minutes at a time to get used to the laps I'd be doing at Fontana Lake; my friend Dean suggested I just focus on "swimming the mile I was in"; and my friend Charlie (from Chapel Hill) who was rooting for me strongly and helping me make plans to get some NC swimmers together this summer.  Then something terrible happened. I don't plan to go into details, but my friend Charlie died during a multistage open water swim event in the Hudson River.  I was heartbroken.  But it had me recollect my thoughts.  What was it I was really looking for?  The race I was planning on doing did not have a pilot per swimmer like some races do, it was a two mile course with aid stations every 2 miles, and I felt like I needed Terrence or my Dad on course.  I had too many questions about the course, that it did not seem like the right fit for me. So I backed out of the race.

We decided to go it alone.  So on July 20th,  my pilot, Terrence, and I will hit my lake to get me through my 10K.  I don't need medals or a t-shirt for validation, I just want to do it.  Open water swimming brings me courage, strength, and vitality - it's the sport I have needed in my life but came into kind of late.   Being with my husband on my lake is going to be incredible, then I can be home to cuddle my new best friend George, hug on my children, and text my friends all about it.  I'm excited! In fact, I'm focused and ready.












No comments:

Post a Comment