He wanted to gestate forever.
He didn't seem to recover from the first days in the hospital and all of their prodding.
He had jaundice.
He had a hard time learning to latch.
He barely gained his initial weight loss (after birth) back by his 1 month visit.
He seemed to be in pain.
I quit eating dairy, egg, citrus, tomato, and eventually gluten.
He seemed to be terrified.
He startled to some sound, but wouldn't turn to other sounds.
He seemed to have low muscle tone.
I questioned his hearing.
I questioned his vision.
I questioned his overall development.
We went to the experts - my colleagues.
He was diagnosed with low muscle tone and sensory differences.
We made a plan.
I continued to question his vision.
I researched.
I spent hours talking to experts.
He started to gain weight. ( I weighed him 2x weekly at work)
He started sleeping through the night.
He took a bath without screaming.
I took him to the ophthalmologist.
He was farsighted.
He had a functional vision assessment by a teacher from the Governor Morehead Preschool Program.
He went to occupational therapy.
He started to get stronger.
He held his head up in prone.
I religiously started infant massage.
He started looking at me.
His eye contact became amazing.
He smiled.
He laughed.
He cooed.
He vocalized in response to my vocalizations.
He seemed happy.
I took him to the ophthalmologist.
He could see.
His vision has matured.
The sensory differences are disappearing.
Tone is still low, but we have a plan.
He is pulling it all together and teaching his mother more than any amount of school ever could!
A little guy who wants to take his time and teach me how to enjoy the ride. Not to stress... because good things come to those who wait.
I absolutely love Easton... he is doing amazing things. He will continue to do amazing things! There is no doubt in my mind!
love, love, love! Way to go Easton!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he's doing so well! I feel like any differences are so easily noticed and compared because there's another baby right there too. One of ours started smiling for about two weeks before the other and I kept worrying something was wrong. So I'm sure that if he is having a harder time then that seems even more obvious. But it sounds like he's doing great and just wants to go by his own timing!
ReplyDelete