August of 2012 started a new life for me. My already super busy life became complicated with something else, something new, something not invited yet something that I now value. I became a parent of a child with special needs. When Easton was born I never thought my life would be flooded with IFSPs, service coordination, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and insurance premiums. I never thought I would be going to a clinic for my child and not a job interview... but I did and I still do.Every Thursday
"Have you seen ....? I hope she is okay." We laugh about stupid things and comment on the yadayada epidemic at whatever school. One parent even told me that some random day of the week's children are not nearly as cute as Thursday's children - but I think she was just being funny. But as no surprise, I still laughed inappropriately. I've learned about the King's Mountain Half Marathon, Florida's weather, speech language pathology assistant school, autism, vaccines, grandchildren, and so much more. I wouldn't trade these experiences for
anything. This week, I did not recognize any of the parents, which made
me slightly sad. The "mother" who was there was actually a
"grandmother" was amazed that Easton was receiving PT because her
granddaughter who was 5 months older, is not nearly climbing as well as
Easton. "Well," I told her, "our PT is outstanding!" I have taken so
much from this opportunity to be in a waiting room meeting other
parents, and believe me, you cannot learn this stuff in school. You
cannot meet people who understand you better, encourage you more, or
want the best for your child. These are the folks who know what it is
like to be me (and Terrence). We are so blessed to have met all the
other waiting room parents and I hope they feel the same toward us. I
will never forget all you have done for us! See you all on Thursday!
I was a waiting room parent too ... for OT ... and learned so much as a result.
ReplyDelete