life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Journey Continues, C'est La Vie



In true Easton fashion, the journey continues, and so is life. After 3 months of no therapy, limited worries, and lots of growth - I started noticing his gait was not improving. He is walking, he is trying to run, and he "pretends to jump." BUT he has no balance. He keeps his hands out, and I kept thinking "maybe he will take off in flight," then he never did, so something had to give. We knew he might need SMOs (supramalleolar orthosis) or simple inserts, but we waited it out. Then when I noticed he continued to "slip" at the heel, I called Level 4 Orthotics.  They had Easton seen within three days of my call.  Kristie our NP had an order written in several hours - a quote was submitted to my insurance company within two days of the order being written and I made the first payment today. Easton has yet to receive his inserts... but it has been a unique experience; I imagine inserts will be here soon. Last Monday, Easton and I traveled to Hickory to meet with an orthotist at Level 4. We had Subway on the way, Easton ate about 7 chips and drank my "iced-tea;" the kid rarely says "Mommy" but can say "iced-tea" 8x in a row.  Then we went to Level 4. I filled out the necessary paper work, talked with the receptionist, and then met a nice older couple in the waiting room. Glen, the orthotist, called us back promptly.  He watched Easton walk and immediately keyed in on the heel-slip. Due to something near the calcaneus - likely a stretched ligament near the heel (aka calcaneus) Easton needs some stability. Therefore inserts.  Glen said something about SMOs and I gave him the "hell-no" eye... he then recommended inserts.


Don't get me wrong, I will pay $10,000 to get my kids what they need, I will drive them to Chicago to get the best therapies, I will quit eating to feed them - but I also know there are usually cheaper options - so we decided on inserts. To be honest, they aren't that expensive. I do wish we had POMCS through the CDSA, I do wish I had better insurance, I do wish Easton could go without and run at ease... but c'est la vie.  Truthfully our life is really blessed and I love getting to experience all of this with Easton - just wish I didn't have to share my tea! Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment