life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Open Water Swim



My open water swim was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Since joining a swim team, I feel as connected to swimming as I did back when had Junior Olympic qualifying times.  During practices, we dive off of blocks, do ridiculous drills, and get timed. Each of us critique each other’s strokes, offer support, and laugh. It's a great experience. So, Ed (the fearless leader) asked us last weekend if any of us were interested in open water swimming. I totally was in! On Tuesday after work we headed to the lake.  A friend of Ed's had offered us their dock to swim from.  The water was deep, like 50 feet just a few yards from the dock.  We got in and the water was warm.  We selected a course and started swimming.  We swam approximately 1,300 yards total. I chased Ed at first because the water was so deep, dark, and I had no idea where I was in relation to the rest of the world. I bilaterally breathed so I could spy the water for boats, snakes, and dead bodies. Caroline swam behind me and I looked back several times to make sure I could spot her hot pink swim cap.  Then I got comfortable. I swam with my heart. What an amazing experience! I cannot wait to go back!




(By the way, the photo is all about firsts... My first open water swim, Joyce's first visit to Lake James, and Ed's first selfie! What a trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment