People often ask me why I run. I generally say "because I love it," which is likely the easiest and most correct answer, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.I got into running many years ago, at the age of 14, when I wanted to run Cross Country at my high-school. At that time, 3-5 miles was a daunting but wonderful feat and it complimented my swimming "career". Running came in and out of my life through my college years, but I would often be coined "the runner" at the gyms I went to because you could usually find me running 1-2 miles on the treadmill before classes, before I lifted weights, or before I did the elliptical. When I got my first job, I started running 5K and 10K races again, because some of my colleagues were doing it... the 10K pushed me to finally "train" and that's where the running passion struck me. I kept running through pregnancies and eventually set my sights on the half marathon distance and eventually the full marathon, to which I have successfully finished 5. I have run so many miles and races over the years, I feel like an accomplished runner - despite the fact I'm relatively slow. Not a weekend passes that I don't go out for 10 miles with a friend and I typically run several miles on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays too.
So why do I run? There are many reasons. Physical, spiritual, emotional, and for soul catharsis... it makes me feel sane. For you see, I have a tough job. I see a slice of life that others will never see. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I often cry after we diagnose Autism. I always cuddle babies extra longer when I hold them at work, because we've lost these same babies over the years. I often question why I wore white when a home is less clean than my standards. I try to distance myself from situations, because I am a trained professional --- but I can only distance myself so far because in reality, I am a mother of three and it makes me sad in individual situations. So I run to find peace in all of this. I run to bring a piece of joy back to my heart. I run to pray for these families. I run just to be in that moment - to feel sunshine on my back - and to just live.They say life is short, which is very true... but I think life can be hard in its short duration. By finding joy and peace on my runs, I'm only adding life to my soul and you can't argue with that.
No comments:
Post a Comment