life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Yeti or Not 25K Recap


Yeti or Not is the operable phrase... I'm not sure I was ready for that... but I did it anyway. Being a long time, long distance runner, I have logged many miles along the road, in the woods, and on the beach. I've run and trained for 6 marathons... but nothing could have prepared me for a 25K of this magnitude.  A 25K is 15.6 miles for all you non-runners. It's an unusual road race distance, but seems to be pretty popular in the trail world.

On February 3rd, Deanne and I woke up early (as always) and made a trip to Hendersonville, NC - about an hour drive from Asheville.  We pulled into Dupont State Park in plenty of time to snap selfies, pick up our packet, and hit the porta-john line (yes, this is protocol, you guys know this by now). The race did not start until 10:00 am, so we met up with other runners and our Skirt Sports Ambassador friend Laura before the race. Y'all it was so cold, like 19 degrees at the starting line, but that never stops us.  We were busy talking, goofing off, and it seemed as though the race started like that. The first two miles were relatively flat to downhill, we maintained a decent pace despite having to wait in line cross a creek.  Then came the up... at first I thought "this too shall pass," and "this will pass quickly," but it didn't.  The next 5-6 miles were uphill.  We'd run, walk a switchback, run a minute, climb a hill, run a minute, cross a creek, run a minute, curse... for a good bit.  I was tripping on everything and becoming increasingly frustrated by the second, but my "no quit" mentality allowed me to push on through. Deanne and I talked a lot and just kind of made due what we were given.  I remember laughing a ton and thanking her over and over for the "experience."  But here's the thing... the course is indescribably beautiful and today was just another training run, thank God for another training run. 

Throughout these miles, the funniest things happened. I may or may not have almost died one time crossing a small stream... Deanne envisioned me cascading down a waterfall into a ravine and I just remember sliding on a rock before heroically jumping to save my life.  I'll let the reader decide what truly happened.  (It's always an adventure with D&C).

The first aid station came and went. It was fully stocked and supportive. I tried GU Stroopwafels for the first time and would highly recommend them as a race fuel to all you guys out there! They are super delicious, and remind me of a Girl Scout cookie and the Netherlands combined.  At mile 7ish, we were given some relief and could run downhill for a significant portion. In fact, the next 7-8 miles to the finish were rolling hills.  But from the workout on my quads from the first 7 miles, I struggled on the back half.  Deanne and I ran the rest of the race within a minute-two of each other, I ran back-behind and watched for her to make sure we were both making the correct turns.  We yelled to check on each other and just enjoyed the rest of our run.  I don't think I have ever been so happy to cross a finish line. I told the race director that all the roads I've run could have never prepared me for that! He laughed.  All in all, we crossed 4 creeks (they said 2), we climbed 2,216 feet (vertical gain), and I found bits of the run to be more technical than I expected.  This was the hardest thing I've ever done. Seriously. Maybe I was yeti for the race, maybe not... but it was an experience for this road runner!

Highlights of the race: the racers are friendly and encouraging, the race is well organized, the t-shirts/bibs/medals are awesome, the aid stations are well stocked, the course is beautiful, you feel pretty badass, and it's a great training race for a spring marathon

Lowlight of the race: It's hilly - you run up a mountain. (That's all I got folks, the race is damn near perfect)


"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."

No comments:

Post a Comment