life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Soap Box... Sorry!

A nurse from my OB's office called today to check on me. The twins are now 9 days old. She asked "So you had them both vaginally?" as though it was impossible. Then she said "Wow, that's a miracle." Is it though? I have posted a link, below, regarding the c-section rate in NC. The hospital I delivered in is 3% higher than the state average (34% vs. 31%). I am disgusted by the high rates in certain hospitals. Other states' averages were available and are shockingly high. As high as 60% even! I understand medical necessity, it happens.   Babies are in the wrong presentation, at high risk, the mother may be at high risk of death, etc. And those are the people who REQUIRE surgery.  But that is surely not 30%-60% of the US population.  I think the rates are so high due to elective c-section, doctor's availability/schedule accommodation, lack of research, and fear. I am against elective delivery, I think induction is different, but to choose a birthday many weeks in advance is a pet peeve. Induction decisions are usually made by the provider or mother at a later date, when something has to give.  Baby's gestation is 41-42 weeks, twin gestation of 39-40, high blood pressure late in pregnancy, etc. These are medical necessities. Picking July 4th because you are 39 weeks and you want your baby to "have fireworks" every birthday is not medically necessary.

World-wide statistics do not look much better with China having 46%, Australia at 30% but with individual providers with rates as high as 80%, and Europe ranging from 14% (ideal) to 38%. I think the World Health Organization suggests that an ideal c-section rate for hospitals would be 20% or less.

This is just one of my soap boxes, and I was strongly encouraged by my own provider to consider an elective c-section to which an all out war was started between us. He did not deliver my babies and never will. I had three successful vaginal deliveries with his colleague and I am proud of that!


http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/5/4/north-carolina-cesarean-rates-by-hospital-2008.html

No comments:

Post a Comment