life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Sunday, May 27, 2012

How are Jaundice, Insanity, Hunger, and Sleep Depivation Related?

No one ever said raising twins was easy - especially their first week of life. I think it is rather comical, for someone like me, who organizes her closet by color, writes a to do list everyday, and wakes up by 7:00 a.m. 365 days a year.  In the past seven days I have slept approximately 15-20 hours and it only tallies up that high because I slept great the night before they were born!

On Friday night after having a three hour night Thursday, I got 1 hour and thirty minutes of sleep. Needless to say, I felt fairly groggy on Saturday but who isn't tired with a newborn or with two newborns in our case. We found out they were slightly jaundiced on Friday and may not sleep, would need more feedings, and therefore may have more frequent diaper changes.  Boy, that was for sure!

Saturday was hectic and started at 5:30 a.m.  I breast fed every half hour and by mid-afternoon had only eaten six dried apricots pieces, a handful of cashews, and drank four cups of coffee.  My caloric intake is awesome at this point.  I cried to my Mom that I wanted a shower and hadn't had a free minute to change my underwear since the day before. I don't think I had brushed my teeth or combed my hair yet either.  Things calmed down when the family realized how insane I truly was becoming. So I had a shower, brushed my hair and teeth, put on clean underwear and eventually ate some salmon and salad at 3:00.  At supper time Terrence helped me eat with a baby attached at each breast. I got three hours of sleep that night, fed, then slept two more hours, before waking up to start it all over again. I showered, actually put on my jeans, makeup, and scrunched my hair.  Both babies were ready to go to the doctor by 9:00.  Ava was up and ready to be fetched by Grammy for the day.  We made it to the doctor and had a good report... bye-bye jaundice... thanks to all that breast feeding.  Lack of sleep, not eating, and becoming insane do have their beauties!

1 comment:

  1. Sleep is a great thing.... hopefully more will come your way soon! Are your nipples ready to fall off? I can't imagine nursing two... at least you don't have to worry about pumping the other breast after a feed. I think that the fact that you are super organized will help you be a great twin mommy.

    ReplyDelete