life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Running... a post not entirely dedicated to my kids!

Most people who know me, know I love running and have for 17 years. I started running because I couldn't do other sports very well. I continued running to stay in shape. Then I took running to the next level and ran to do amazing things, like half marathons. On tonight's run, I pondered why I continue to run now - with all my free time, ha ha... it came to me. I run now to keep me from being profiled on the hit Oxygen show "Snapped." Running is amazing!
Seriously though, running means a great deal to me.
First of all it seems to stop time.  I can go on a long run and feel as though I am the only person in the world and the only important thing is my general well-being. It is also a huge part of my chaotic life. I get out on a run at least 4 times a week and I need to go out and run at least that much! 
I don't know if it is lack of time and me trying to soak up every tidbit, but I have began noticing new and important things on my runs. Support from other runners for one.  A couple of weeks ago I got a "Keep up the good work!" (from the fastest runner in western NC... I do know him from cross country days, still I  felt awesome).  Recently, I got "Have fun!" from an older man, as he was finishing his run close to my favorite trail. Have fun, what an odd thing to say.  It took me a minute, and honestly the entire 45 minutes to savor these words... These words must have meant a great deal because I found myself running like a child.  I employed fartlek running, as it, in my opinion, is similar to the way children run.  Fartlek is to run different speeds, run different distances, use bursts of energy, and to practice random running in general. It is not interval... but is is speedwork. Fun and challenging speedwork. Another thing I have noticed on runs is simple acknowledgement from other human beings.  When you have barely a breath to speak, you can at least give eye contact and a simple nod.  Those runners bring happiness to my heart as well. I met a man on a huge hill and we simply acknowledged each other.  I know him from the community, he's a stunt man - who runs for a different reason than me - but nevertheless we are runners and see a reason to acknowledge each other. The final thing I have noticed on my recent runs is nature. I have always loved being outside but the sensory input I get on runs these days is amazing. I hear squirrels while running in the woods, I hear creeks ripple, I hear the breeze, I see trees, I see animals, I smell the woods, I feel rocks and twigs underneath my feet, I sense my heart beat and my breath, my entire being. I enjoy the vestibular movement.  In May of 2011, I complained of sensory overload during a half marathon. I was in the mountains of western NC (the most beautiful place on earth), running an intensely hard half marathon, with ear buds blaring Social Distortion, and with other enthusiastic runners talking to me.  No wonder I had "sensory anxiety!" To this day, I no longer wear ear buds, I don't listen to music, and I now enjoy my surroundings.
Today I ran. I ran about 4 miles. I took my best friend,my dog, Momo. Together we sprinted in the warm wind but walked as necessary (as it was still 94 degrees at 7:00 p.m.). I gave Momo a chance to swim in a creek.  We marveled at the wildlife we are blessed with in Western NC and enjoyed each others' company. It may have not been my fastest or best run, but it was enjoyable, and that is why I run mostly. For the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment