life

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen

Monday, July 15, 2013

The End

The last two days of last week (work week) were so hard. Good, but hard. This post is not intended to bore you about my life, so we will forgo why the second day was hard - instead it is to share a piece of happiness that the Bumgarners got to celebrate last week!

Easton has been through a bunch in his 13 months of life.  It is nothing compared to what other parents go through, but was still tough.  Most everyone knows his history.  Particularly if you have followed this blog, read my posts on facebook, or personally know me. Just a recap: twin, born full-term, jaundice, hard time latching, foggy disposition, could not gain weight, did not track, did not look at me, was scared, screamed, arched, EVALUATED, found to have a mixed developmental profile, sensory disturbance, moderate farsightedness, Governor Morehead Preschool Program, CDSA, I-TP, service coordination, IFSP, OT, Visual Maturation Delay, poor motor skills, hypotonia, PT, splints...

I talked about his struggles and got us landed in a national speech publication - slated to run in December.  I have had so much support from family and friends - and the support was needed. I thank all of Easton's supporters - I love you all, more than you will ever know.  On Thursday, we traveled to Hickory for our weekly PT session. Actually it had just turned to 2x monthly and in fact, Easton had not had PT in one month due to the therapist not feeling well and the fourth of July. In any case, Kathy was quite impressed in what "her boy" had done in a month.  It was also the Service Coordinator's monthly monitoring session.  Most of you know about Connie, because I sing praises about her, everyday. But, Connie, Easton's service coordinator was also impressed.  Kathy, the PT, kept talking about how next Easton should kick a ball, walk up steps, and jump. I know how children develop. So I realized that he was developing fine, but I was scared... I was scared because I knew I was about to lose her.  Connie asked, "Does this mean PT is over?" And of course, Kathy said "Yes." I cried. Then Connie asked me if I wanted to do an IFSP review to terminate PT. I said "I guess." Then she said "What about to discontinue the Infant-Toddler Program." I exclaimed "No, Connie you can't cut ties with me!" and then nervously laughed, teared up, and looked for the closest exit.  Unfortunately, Connie's wisdom and Kathy's experience prompted me to discontinue Easton's services. I cried again. Now, believe me, I am so happy he is fine... and I am so proud. All of those therapy sessions, discussions, and arguments about his needs were so worth it... and the worries, the weeks without eating, and the nights of internet research are over...
But, I knew this. I had recognized it from a moment that happened the night before. Let me tell you what made me really believe in this boy.  On Wednesday of last week I got the kids out of the van.  Ava went into the house.  Easton was first out of the van; Elle being second. When I got Elle out, I turned around and saw Easton quickly walking away from me.  He turned back and looked at me and laughed. Then he sprang into a mud puddle. He splashed and blew bubbles. I could have gotten angry, I could have screamed... but I didn't and actually, I laughed.  Then Ava looked outside and she laughed. Easton saw this all going on and started hamming it up. It was an unbelievable moment. It was the moment I realized he was okay. I think we can officially say "The End."

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts and the Life of the Bumgarner's doesn't bore me at all! I am so proud of Easton and his Mommy! You both have worked so hard.

    ReplyDelete